Towards the edge of the village, St Peter and Paul Church serves the large village of Longhoughton as well as the fishing village of Boulmer. Children from the village school are frequent visitors to the church, and an increasing number come to the monthly all age service.
The oldest parts of the church are Saxon, the nave is mainly Norman from the late 11th century, built over the Saxon foundations. The base of the squat west tower is also Norman, possibly dating from 1096. Before the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the church at Longhoughton was a chapel subordinate to the church at Lesbury After the Dissolution Longhoughton became an independent parish, the first vicar being appointed in 1539.
The stained glass is Victorian, the east window depicts St Peter and St Paul, and the Last Supper; it is dedicated to the memory of Henry and Jane Bell.
Longhoughton is a small Northumbrian village 4 miles to the east of Alnwick. Once a centre of agriculture, coal mining, lime kilns and quarrying it is now a quiet place, swelled by the presence of nearby RAF Boulmer. Agriculture continues and there are still two working quarries. Today there is a small supermarket which includes a Post office and nearby is the Burnside, the only pub in the village.
Longhoughton Church of England First School
The village school has strong links with the community and St Peter & St Paul's Church. The vicar is on the governing body and regularly leads worship in the school and for celebrations at Christmas, Easter and Harvest in the Church itself. There children also come on other occasions in connection with their RE studies and for a service of farewell before they progress to middle school.
Details of the school and its aims and ethos are found on the school website.
Until 2010 Boulmer had a chapel of ease dedicated to St Andrew, the Fisherman. It was in the former Village School built by the Duke of Northumberland in 1881 and leased since 1961. The former East Window depicting St Andrew was removed and installed in Longhoughton Church to the North of the Sanctuary. Boulmer still has an active fishing community using traditional fishing cobles.
The village is set within a natural haven accessed by a gap through an almost complete band of rock, , the boats are hauled ashore or moored in the water. The main catch is crabs, lobsters and sea salmon. In the past Boulmer was notorious for smuggling activities, much of this illicit trade was centred on the infamous Fishing Boat Inn public house.
A hub of joy was how visitors described the Lent lunch put on by St John the Baptist Church, Alnmouth.
Prayers and Bible Study for Lent